If you are an organization with an innovative project and seeking grant, you can apply for the Innovate UK Smart Grants before the deadline. It will be a great funding opportunity for your growing business.
Hurry and Apply!
Sponsoring Agency: GOV.UK
Type of Fund: Grant
Deadline: April 13, 2022
Smart is Innovate UK’s ‘open grant funding program.
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, is investing up to £25 million in the best game-changing and commercially viable innovative or disruptive ideas. All proposals must be business-focused.
Innovate UK secured an uplift in funding in the 2021 spending review, which will enable us to provide an improved range of funding and business support from April 2022. This round of the competition will be the last in the current format.
Future rounds of the Smart grant will be more focused on supporting proposals from UK-based innovative businesses that are destined for early, successful commercialization, growth, and exports.
Applications can come from any area of technology and be applied to any part of the economy, such as, but not exclusively:
- net zero
- health and well being
- the arts, design, and media
It welcomes projects that overlap with the Innovate UK Plan for Action. This is not a requirement, and it is also keen to support projects in other areas.
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) considerations are highly encouraged where appropriate in your proposal. You are prompted to consider EDI as part of the application process. Applications will continue to be assessed on their innovation merit, where innovation is defined as the potential for commercially successful exploitation of ideas.
Your Project must –
- include at least one micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) as the lead or a collaborative grant claiming partner
- start by 1 October 2022
- end by 30 September 2025
- follow specific rules dependent on its duration
The end by date is the date by which all funding for this round of the competition must end. Your contracted project end date will not be extended.
If your project’s duration is 6 to 18 months it:
- must have total eligible project costs between £100,000 and £500,000
- can be single or collaborative
If your project’s duration is 19 to 36 months, it must:
- have total eligible project costs between £100,000 and £2 million
- be collaborative
Lead Organization –
To lead a project your organization must:
- be an SME if you want to work alone
- be a UK registered business of any size or a research and technology organization (RTO) if collaborative
- include at least one SME if you are a large business or RTO and wish to collaborate with the other UK registered businesses, research organizations, academic organizations, public sector organizations or charities
- claim grant funding
- carry out all your project work in the UK
- intend to commercially exploit the results from or in the UK
Academic institutions cannot lead or work alone.
Project Team –
To collaborate with the lead, your organization must be one of the following UK registered:
- academic institution
- public sector organization
- research and technology organization (RTO)
You must carry out all your project work in the UK and intend to commercially exploit the results from or in the UK.
Each partner organization must be invited into the Innovation Funding Service by the lead to collaborate on a project. Once accepted, partners will be asked to login or to create an account and enter their own project costs into the Innovation Funding Service.
If collaborative, the lead and at least one other organization must claim grant funding by entering their costs during the application.
UK registered organizations can apply for a share of up to £25 million for game-changing and commercially viable R&D innovation that can significantly impact the UK economy.
This funding is from Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation.
For more information, visit here.